This post contains a collection of 30 grief quotes, grieving quotes or quotes about grief and loss you will ever need to help you overcome any kind of grief in your life.
Grief and loss are very painful indeed especially if you lose something and someone so dear to your heart but the good news is that there is someone to comfort you in your grief.
And this person is the Lord who is close to the broken-hearted & the grieving as you will discover in the grieving quotes which will be discussed shortly.
With that said, here are the 30 carefully selected grief quotes you will ever need to overcome grief and loss with the help of God’s grace which is sufficient for you.
30 Grieving Quote For Overcoming Grief And Loss
Here are 30 grieving quotes to comfort and strengthen you if you have going through grief and loss in one way or the other.
1. Sometimes, God uses grief and pain to bring us closer to himself. Trialsandtests.com.
The above saying is one of the best grief quotes to remind you that sometimes God will use grief and loss to bring you closer to him.
When things are going well, it easy to forget God and where you came from which makes us complacent of the amazing blessings we have in our lives.
So, God will at times use grief to tame our pride and remind us that we should always depend on him alone and not ourselves or other people.
2. Grief is an inevitable part of life no one can escape regardless of social status in society or educational status. Trialsandtests.com.
In short, no one is exempted from grief and loss and so long as you are born of a woman which we all are, grief is just part of the package you can’t throw out of the window.
Regardless of your social or educational status, grief will strike you like lightning but that should not discourage you and make you think life is unfair.
We all go through grief and loss and remember, you are not alone. Others too are also grieving in one way or the other just like you. Stay strong as the storm of grief will soon pass.
3. The reason all human beings here on earth experience grief is because we live in a fallen world which is under the curse of sin. Trialsandtests.com.
As long as you live in this fallen Adamic world, grief is a sure thing in this short but troublesome life you have here on earth.
Reason being, grief is also as a result of sin on or part. Sure, not all grief is as a result of sin but just life happening but most of it is.
The good news is that if you are a Christian, no need to worry as this world isn’t your home & the grief you experience is but light afflictions compared to your eternal rewards beyond.
4. Grief is not a respecter of persons and comes to everyone irrespective of race, social status or educational status in society. Trialsandtests.com.
Similar to the grieving quotes earlier discussed in this post, the above grief quote reminds us that grief discriminates no one as long as you are a human being born of a woman.
Whether rich or poor, grief and loss will come to you in some way and being rich isn’t an insurance policy against grief.
Therefore, when grief comes to you, know that you are not the only one as everyone has their own share of griefs and losses in their lives you may not be aware of.
5. No one loves to experience grief but sometimes, we need to experience grief in life in order to appreciate the value of life especially when we lose something so dear to us like a loved one. Trialsandtests.com.
The above quote on grief reminds us grief though unpleasant and heartbreaking is sometimes necessary to appreciate how precious & priceless life is.
It’s only when you lose a loved one or someone close to you will you realize that life is precious and why we shouldn’t take our loved one for granted.
Don’t take your loved ones for granted because you don’t know if today might be the last day you are seeing them eye to eye.
6. God allows grief in our lives to teach us patience and longsuffering which are essential fruits of the spirit we all need to have to understand the true meaning of living. Trialsandtests.com.
True indeed God permits grief to teach us patience and longsuffering which are essential fruits of the spirit all professing Christian must-have. No exceptions to this rule.
I know most Christians may wonder why God is allowing grief in their lives but remember, gold is only purified in a hot fiery furnace.
So, God will also refine & polishes your character by allowing you to be in a fiery furnace of grief to remove all the dross and imperfections currently present in your character.
7. Grief introduces a person to himself. Trialsandtests.com.
When you go through grief, you discover certain things about yourself you never knew existed before grief-struck you such as your tenacity and resilience.
It’s only when you experience grief will you realize that you are stronger than you really though after overcoming the grief.
Had not grief happened, those hidden strengths you have will be unknown to you. I guess we must all be thankful to grief for such revelations about ourselves it gives us at times.
8. Grief can be one of the most devastating experiences one can have when viewed with a negative lens but at the same time, grief can also be one of the most enlightening experiences you can ever have in your life to teach you how to live and appreciate life even more. Trialsandtests.com.
The quote above is one of the best grief quotes I can give you if you are currently experiencing grief in your life in one way or another.
As bad as grief can be, it can also be the most enlightening experience you can ever have in your life due to the new perspective it brings to life.
If you observe carefully, people who have experienced grief in some form or another are more grateful for everything they have in life compared to those who have not.
9. When grief comes in your life, don’t say why me, say try me and say to grief, you are not here to stay. Trialsandtests.com.
In short, don’t complain when grief strikes you but boldly say to grief, “try me.” That statement is what will separate you from losers in life not strong enough to overcome grief.
Most people don’t have the courage to say that in the face of grief because they are weak and flabby like porridge.
But if you stay in the game, you are going to outlive your grief and emerge a stronger person compared to those who threw in the towel in the face of grief and loss.
10. You are not the first person here on earth to experience grief. So many others have also experience grief the same way you have and have grown from it into better persons. So, don’t allow grief to make you lose hope but grow and learn from it. Trialsandtests.com.
Like other grief quotes earlier discussed, the above saying is no different concerning grief reminding you once again that you are not alone.
Others too have experienced grief and have grown from it to become some of the finest, compassionate and grateful people you will ever come across in your lifetime.
That friend is the beauty grief brings to a person if that person uses his or her grief for a greater good and purpose as well as growing and learning from it.
11. Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form. Rumi.
An amazing grief quote from Rumi telling all those who are grieving in some way that anything we lose will be replaced with something better.
This is often the case when you lose something or someone so dear to you. At first, it may seem like the world has ended.
But when grief settles down, you gain a new perspective on life because when you lose something, you become more grateful for what you have left.
12. Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart. José N. Harris.
It’s ok to grieve soothing or someone dear to your heart you have lost as it shows that you loved that thing or person.
And the tears coming out of your eyes are a sign of how much you loved that person wholeheartedly as some people don’t even grieve honestly at all.
But don’t shed fake tears because nowadays, most people don’t grieve honestly and shed crocodile tears while inside they are happy. Someone else’s loss is their gain.
13. Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them. Leo Tolstoy.
If you strongly love someone, you will grieve that person when that person is gone though not all people are worth grieving for.
Sadly, today most people don’t love sincerely and when you leave, they are secretly happy in their hearts in this selfish world we live in.
And only those with true love in their hearts grieve sincerely rather than shedding fake crocodile tears at funerals which is now a case for most people due to lack of true love.
14. Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up the o-er wrought heart and bids it breaks. William Shakespeare.
One of the mazing grief quotes by William Shakespeare telling us that grief has no words nor does it speak openly in public.
But grief is silent and affects your heart deep down and sometimes will cause your heart to break because of grief and loss.
You can give grief and sorrow all kinds of words for grief has no words but what it has are pain and heartbreaks but don’t let that break you as you will heal over time.
15. Grief can be a burden, but also an anchor. You get used to the weight, how it holds you in place. Sarah Dessen.
The above quote on grief tells us that yes, grief can be a heavy burden to lift sometimes depending on what you have lost.
On the flipside, grief can also be an anchor, which holds you in place when you get used to the weight it comes with.
Yes, sometimes grief will hold you in place especially if you have encountered loss several times in the life of something or someone dear to you.
16. To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever. The pain stops. There are new people but the gap never closes. This hole in your heart is the shape of the one you lost. No one else can fit it. Jeanette. Winterson.
Losing someone, you truly love whole-heartedly changes your life forever and things are just no longer the same anymore.
Well, this is because grief and loss leave a hole or crater in your heart through the pain may subside overtime as time goes by.
New people may still come but you will still have those old memories of that special person in your heart you lost especially if those people are your parents or spouse.
17. Parting is such sweet sorrow That I shall say goodnight till it is morrow. William Shakespeare.
Another lovely grieving quote by Shakespeare where he states the sorrow of parting and saying goodbye to someone you love.
Shakespeare here states that parting is sweet sorrow in some way when you say goodnight to that thing or the person you love.
And of course, parting with a loved one will always be a painful experience and its goodbyes won’t always be easy.
18. We were promised sufferings. They were part of the program. We were even told, ‘Blessed are they that mourn,’ and I accept it. I’ve got nothing that I hadn’t bargained for. Of course, it is different when the thing happens to oneself, not to others, and in reality, not imagination. C.S. Lewis.
One of the best quotes about grief from Lewis reminding us that grief and sufferings are just part of this life on earth.
He goes further to say that grief is something promised to us all and part of the program in our lives we must accept.
Remember, blessed are all those who mourn and are heartbroken for they shall be strengthened and comforted.
19. To live in hearts we live behind is not to die. Thomas Campbell.
In short, we don’t die when we dwell in the hearts of people we have left behind and lost as they always are in our hearts.
This is especially true when you lose your spouse or parents. These people though gone from our lives still hold a special place in our hearts.
And somehow, these special people we had in our lives just don’t die off completely from our hearts even though they are long gone.
20. The darker the night, the brighter the stars. The deeper the grief, the closer God. Fyodor Dostoevsky.
That quote by Dostoevsky is one of the best comforting grief quotes you can ever come across reminding our darkest moments in our lives brings the brightest moments when grief is over.
And the more painful and deeper grief and loss are. The closer to God we get compared to moments without grief and pain.
When things are good, we sometimes tend to forget God but when grief strikes suddenly like lightning, it makes run to him for grace to overcome the pain grief comes with.
- Top 20 Encouraging Bible verses About Endurance & Perseverance
- 75 Exotic Loss Quotes To Help You Deal With Grief And Loss Gracefully.
- 45 Bible Verses On Hope To Give You Hope You Need Right Now
21. Grief and loss are a reminder of why godly gratitude in everything in life is important. Trialsandtests.com.
Grief reminds us why having a godly character in life is important because grief, when not handled carefully, can make you go mad or even take your own life.
Having a godly character of patience, endurance and longsuffering even in difficult times are what will make you overcome the grief you may be going through.
So, when grief comes in one way or the other, display a godly Christ-like the character of patience and longsuffering knowing that this will all come to pass.
22. Grief sometimes comes in our lives to remind us not to take anything and anyone for granted. Trialsandtests.com.
The above quote is similar to the grief quotes earlier discussed in this post once again reminding you not to take anything or anyone for granted.
Sadly, most people only appreciate something or someone when gone and not when that thing or person was around.
Therefore, grief is sometimes permitted in our lives to remind us not to take our loved ones for granted and to learn to appreciate them while alive not when gone which is pointless.
23. Very often, grief brings out the love and compassion for others in you which you never knew existed before. Trialsandtests.com.
Only people who have gone through grief and loss can love deeply as they appreciate everything they have around them.
If you have noticed, people who have lost someone significant to them are more patient and loving towards others compared to those who have not.
This is because people who haven’t lost anything dear to them are usually complacent and careless as they haven’t’ yet tested how it feels to lose someone dear to your heart.
24. Being betrayed by people closest to you is among the worst griefs you will ever experience which takes time to heal. Trialsandtests.com.
The above quote is one of the most overlooked grieving quotes when it comes to grief and loss which is quite strange.
Those who have been betrayed by closest people to them can relate to this grief quote as this kind of pain really cuts deep through your heart leaving a deep wound.
And this kind of wound takes time to hear due to broken trust and things aren’t just the same after a major betrayal by someone you considered trustworthy but was nothing but a fake.
25. It’s ok to cry if you lose someone so dear to you because your grief is an indicator that you truly loved that person. Trialsandtests.com.
You can only grieve and shed tears for which you loved and the same applies to your loved ones you may have lost in your life.
And the good news is that it’s fine to break down in tears if you lose a loved one as a way of releasing the deep emotional pain and hurt in your heart due to grief.
Crying as a result of losing someone dear to you isn’t a sign of weakness but an indication of how that person you have lost was dear to you in your heart.
26. Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly. Psalms 31:9,10.
This post on grief quotes wouldn’t be complete if didn’t add some bible verses for comforting those going through grief and lose.
And the above bible verse about grief is no exception. The above verse is an excellent antidote for those going through grief in one way or the other.
Always run to the Lord in times of grief as he is the only one with sufficient grace to help you overcome your grief which may seem insurmountable now.
27. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28.
When I come to grieving quotes, the above verse is one of my favourite new testament verse I have used in my life to overcome my past griefs in diverse forms.
Indeed, if you are heavily laden with grief, just come to the Lord Jesus Christ who will give you real rest surpassing all human understanding.
There is no need to carry that heavy load of grief on your shoulder burdening your soul when Christ can do a way better job for you. Live all your grief to him and he will take care of it.
28. The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Psalms 9:9.
The above verse was said by the Psalmist David who trusted the Lord as his refuge in times of distress, grief and trials he went through during his lifetime.
As you know, David went through a lot of grief and trials during his lifetime, yet he still trusted and confided in his unfailing God as his refuge and was never disappointed.
Indeed, the Lord is the refuge for the oppressed and those who have been struck and paralysed by grief in their lives.
29. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. Psalms 147:3.
True indeed, the Lord heals broken-hearted people and if you are broken-hearted right now, that bible verse about grief is for you.
Just give him your broken heart and he will heal it and you will look back on your grief with a smile and joke about it.
Remember, the Lord is the only one who can heal you from all kinds of grief & hurt you may have experienced in your childhood or life in general.
30. The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Psalms 34:18.
Lastly, the above verse is reminding everyone who is heartbroken by grief that the Lord is closer to them to save and heal them.
Don’t ask why the Lord has allowed that pain in your life. Just trust him and he will show you wonders even in your grief.
You are not alone, the Lord is with you, beating and feeling the hurt and grief you have because he too tested grief for you on the cross & knows grief better than you do.
These are all the grief quotes I had to share with you in this post and hope you found some comfort & strength in them.
Remember, grief is only temporary and lasts only for a night but in the morning, you will be filled with indescribable joy you never knew once the storm of grief is over.
I know, grief is painful especially when you lose a loved one suddenly but the good news is that the Lord is on your side to strengthen you as he is closer to the brokenhearted & grieving.
Signing out, if you found this post beneficial to you in some way, kindly share the love with everyone you know as they will be comforted, too. Sharing is caring. Cheers.