Hi, today in this post, you will learn and discover 20 bible verses about friendship and trust as well to help you find and identify true friends from fakes ones or imposters.
You and I know very well that having good friends in our lives who uplift and help us grow in our lives is essential for our personal growth and development.
God and godly friends are indeed a wonderful blessing from the Lord who can help us grow spiritually and in all other areas of life.
The dilemma is that most friends out there are fake and are only your friends if you benefit them in some way. Such people are parasites you need to avoid like a plague at all costs.
And this is why I have prepared the top 20 bible verses about friendship which will help you sniff out these fake friends or parasites lurking in your life and wanting to destroy you.
With that said, let’s look at these 20 bible verses about good friends which will keep you from falling prey to fake friends or parasites as I like to call them.
20 Bible Verses About Good Friends
Here are 20 bible verses about good friends and trust which will help you find good and godly friends in your life who will uplift you and help you grow in your individual life.
1. Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9,6.
When it comes to the Old Testament. The verse above is among the best bible verses about friendship you will come across which states two people are better than on.
When you do things together as opposed to being alone, you will accomplish great things and make more progress which you couldn’t when you are on your own.
Another benefit of doing things together is that when one gets stuck the other is there to lend a helping hand. When you are alone thing gets tricky when you get stuck as you are on your own.
2. He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. Proverbs 13:20.
The above scripture is one of my favorite bible verses about good friends which advises us to associate with wise people who will help us become wise or grow in our lives.
If you associate yourself with fools or toxic people who bring you down, you will be destroyed in the end. So, be careful which your company and choose your friends wisely.
3. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Philippians 2:3.
Another wonderful verse on friendship with tells us to avoid doing things in strife, pride, and vainglory in order to be noticed by others like what most people do.
Rather, we should always exhort and esteem others or our friends better than our own selves in all lowliness and humility of heart.
4. Bear ye one another burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2.
One of the marks of a true friend is that he/she will be willing to bear your burdens which is in contrast to a lot of fake friends that are out there who do the exact opposite.
If you are a true friend, you will indeed be willing to bear other people’s burdens just as Christ bears our burdens without giving any meaningless excuses.
5. Make no friendship with an angry man, and with a furious man, thou shalt not go. Lest thou learn his ways and get a snare to thy soul. Proverbs 22:24.
When it comes to the book of Proverbs, this is another favorite bible verse about friendship I meditate on in my mind.
That scripture warns us not to befriend short-tempered people who get easily angry over silly and childish things in life. Such people find it very difficult to get along with others in society.
Being a friend with an angry man is indeed a snare to your souls as you will adapt his/her contagious toxic behavior and rage which will destroy you in the end.
6. A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24.
The above verse on friendship tells us to be good and friendly to our friends which is done by showing brotherly Christ-like love and kindness to others on only our friends we know.
Secondly, the scripture also says that there is indeed a friend that sticks closer than a brother and this friend is no other than Jesus Christ.
Christ is the truest and faithful friend you will ever have far surpassing any fallible human friend you can ever have here on earth.
7. A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends. Proverbs 16:28.
Backbiters and talebearers who slander other people behind their backs cause strife and lose valuable friendships in their lives out of their foolishness.
Tragically, there are so many such people and hypocrites in the church who want to sow seeds of discord among brethren or saints. You should avoid associating with such people at all costs.
8. Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. 1 Corinthians 15:33.
Of all the bible verses about friendship discussed so far, this one is my favorite of the bunch which tells us bad association always corrupts good morals.
The above verse is a wakeup call for those people who like associating themselves with bad company and erroneously think they can’t be corrupted.
9. And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Bethel. And Elisha said unto him, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they went down to Bethel. 2 Kings 2:2.
Elijah and Elisha in the book of 2 Kings showed us an example of how good friends or friendships should be which is selflessness, respect and unconditional love for each other.
Tragically most friendships of nowadays are fake and based on self. Most people are only your friends if you can benefit them is some way or when things are shine and rainbows in your life.
But when things get difficult or when you face a major life event, these shameless imposters are nowhere to be seen and simply vanish into thin air like an eagle in flight towards the heavens.
10. Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end. Proverbs 19:20.
The above scripture is specifically directed to those people who are not willing to be corrected or listen to wise advice from their friends.
If you want to be wise, swallow your pride and be willing to be corrected as well as learning from others as no one is perfect and knows everything or omniscient like God.
11. Open rebuke is better than secret love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. Proverbs 27:5-6.
When it comes to identifying true friends in your life, the above scripture is among the best bible verses about friendship to gauge the type of friends you have in your life.
A true friend won’t be afraid of telling you the truth even though you may not like what your friend has to say. Remember, a fake friend who smiles at you is more deadly than your actual true enemy.
On the flip side, false and fake friends won’t tell you the truth or show you real feelings they have towards you and will hide the truth through fake kisses, hugs and plastic crocodile smiles.
12. Iron sharpeneth iron; so, a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17.
The above verse on friendships is another favorite scripture of mine I use when choosing people to associate within my life.
Just as iron sharpens iron, a good friend will sharpen you and help you become a better version of yourself or achieve your goals in life.
Associating with people who won’t help you grow or bring you down is like trying to sharpen iron with wood which isn’t possible of course. Choose wise friends who will help you grow.
13. A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity. Proverbs 17: 17.
A true friend will always be on your side especially when you need that person the most, unlike imposters who will bail out on you when you face difficult life situations.
And that friend who loves you at all time is no other than Jesus Christ. I have mentioned Christ because unlike humans who are unpredictable, Jesus can never lie, forsake or disappoint you when you need him most.
14. Speak no evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. James 4:11.
The verse above tells and encourages us not to speak evil of other people even when they do bad things to us.
Sadly, most so-called Christians secretly slander and speak evil of others as if they are judges. You have no right to ignorantly judge other people as if you know everything about that person.
15. Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13.
When it comes to the New Testament, this is my favorite bible verse on friendship I meditate on in my own life which sums up everything of how a true friend should be.
A true friend will always be willing to lay down his/her life for others just as Christ did who is our perfect example to follow on how to be a good friend to others.
16. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. John 15:12.
Uttered by Christ himself during his earthly ministry, that bible verse on friendship reminds us to love one another as he has loved us.
If you are a true friend, you will love your fellow human beings of friends by not doing them evil just as Christ loves you and doesn’t do evil to anyone.
17. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. Luke 6:31.
The above scripture is one of the basic principles of how you should treat other people. You must treat people as you would want to be treated.
In friendships, it’s the same. If you want your friend to be good to you, you must also reciprocate the same goodness and respect to others.
When you don’t and instead disrespect and mistreat others, the same kind of disrespect or mistreatment you show unto others will come crashing upon your head.
18. A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies. Proverbs 14:5.
A true friend won’t lie to your face and will always be sincere to you but fake friends and imposters will lie to your face and are not sincere.
Sadly, most people are pathological liars including those who claim to be your friend. Such people usually make false accusations against you by talking behind your back.
19. Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever, therefore, will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. James 4:4.
Of all the bible verses about friendship discussed so far, the scripture above tells us not to be friends of the world.
If the world is your friend, then you are an enemy of the Lord because if you love the world, it means the love of the Father isn’t in you as you can’t save two masters at the same time.
Unfortunately, most people who claim to be Christians love the world with its wicked fashions, dress code, and cosmetics which they gladly embrace in their lives.
20. Put on, therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering. Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man has a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. Colossians 3:12-14.
Last and not the least, the above scripture, in conclusion, reminds us to always love and forbear one another in lowliness and meekness of heart.
As a good friend, you must always forgive others including you so-called best friends who have wronged you in some way as no one is perfect just as Christ forgives you when you wrong him.
This may be difficult to do I know but just remember people will do you wrong including your so-called best friends as they are not angels but are humans just like anyone else.
Well, that’s all the 20 bible verses about friendship I had to share with you today in this post and hope you found them beneficial.
It’s my prayer that these bible verses about good friends you read here will teach and help you become a good friend as well as help you find a good friend to associate with.
Good friends are indeed a blessing from the Lord as they help us grow and achieve our goals in life just as iron sharpens iron as you earlier read.
In conclusion, kindly share this post with everyone you know if you liked it as they will benefit as well. Sharing is caring. Cheers and be blessed.