A dysfunctional family can be a force to reckon with and drive you nuts if you don’t have healthy boundaries in place as the 45 dysfunctional family quotes below will show you.
It’s true that no family is perfect but for a toxic and dysfunctional family, everything is way out of proportion especially when it comes to drama or verbal fights.
Dysfunction families don’t have to define you. You can always choose to break free from the toxic abuse as the quotes about dysfunctional families will show you below.
Never allows yourself to be a victim. Choose to be free and to start living again. Don’t be held by you past trauma dysfunctional family members caused you.
With that said, here are the 45 dysfunctional family quotes to help you understand that it’s not your problem that your dysfunctional family members are the way they are.
45 Quotes about Dysfunctional Families.
1. All that dysfunctional families know and are pretty good at is drama throughout. Trialsandtests.
2. A family where there is a lack of love and affection is also dysfunctional in some way. Trialsandtests.
3. Children from toxic families are also likely to be toxic to their future spouse if they don’t break free from the toxic cycle of a toxic family. Trialsandtests.
4. Love them, respect them but don’t let their toxic behaviour affect your daily life. Trialsandtests.
5. A dysfunctional family is simply a family that doesn’t function the way a normal family does. Trialsandtests.
6. There is more than one person involved in a toxic family system. Trialsandtests.
7. With dysfunctional families, it’s about control and possessiveness. Trialsandtests.
8. Dysfunctional families come from unhealthy and dysfunctional marriages where dysfunctionality starts first. Trialsandtests.
9. If a marriage is dysfunctional in the first place, what will stop the family from being so? Trialsandtests.
10. Just because you come from a dysfunctional family doesn’t mean you must carry on the legacy. Trialsandtests.
11. People who come from dysfunctional families are not destined for a dysfunctional life. Bo Bennett.
12. A dysfunctional family is any family with more than one person in it. Mary Kass.
13. I come from a dysfunctional family. So, my views of parents and parenting used to be highly mixed. Tamora Pierre.
14. The happy family is a myth for many. Carolyn Spring.
15. Children are not born for the benefit of their parents, neither are they the property of their family. Children belong to the future. Anthon St. Maarten.
16. The family coil so twisted, tight and lose anyone trying to leave has to strafe the field burn the premises down. Adrienne Rich.
17. We were destroying any sense of civility and decency the four of us still had. We were no longer brothers and sisters. We were members of a gang. David Crow.
18. Her definition of love was obligation and guilt. It was the only love the Crow family had to offer. David Crow.
19. You are not part of a toxic family if you walk away. Michele Meleen.
20. Children in dysfunctional homes are at risk of abuse are kept in danger for too long because politically correct rules mean we won’t challenge unfit parents. Michael Gove.
21. Dysfunctional homes are nothing but death traps and minefields for innocent children in there. Samuel Zulu.
22. You may have come from a dysfunctional home but that doesn’t define you as we are responsible for our own choices. Samuel Zulu.
23. It’s so sad when family members stop talking to each other as if they aren’t related by blood. Samuel Zulu.
24. Some of your worst enemies will come from your family which is sad indeed. Samuel Zulu.
25. When all is said and done, innocent children are the ones who suffer most in dysfunctional homes. Samuel Zulu.
26. Any family that has no love in it is toxic and dysfunctional in some way. Samuel Zulu.
27. If a toxic family contain narcissists in there, it now becomes a ticking time bomb waiting to explode at any moment’s notice. Samuel Zulu.
28. You can always break away from the toxic cycle and start living anew once again. Samuel Zulu.
29. A dysfunctional home can be likened to a lion’s den full of ruthless loins waiting to rip you into pieces at any moment’s notice. Samuel Zulu.
30. Abusive parents are the main cause as to why families become dysfunctional and toxic in the first place. Samuel Zulu.
31. There are two things you can run and not hide from- God and a dysfunctional family. R. Alan Woods.
32. If you feel you grew up in a family with toxicity, make it your legacy to break the family legacy. Your motto: the pain stops here. Karen Salmansohn.
33. Bleeding ulcers run in my family, we give them to each other. Lois McMaster Bujold.
34. You were tossed away like a pair of beautiful, brand new shoes that did not quite fit. Donna K. Childree.
35. Refuse to inherit dysfunction. Learn new ways of living instead of repeating what you lived through. Thema Davis.
36. Getting sucked into other’s people’s dysfunction, darkness and ego rob you of your own light. Oprah Winfrey.
37. Families living in dysfunction seldom have healthy boundaries. Dysfunctional families have trouble knowing where they stop and others begin. David W. Earle.
38. Children have empty erasable whiteboards upon which big people write indelibly imprinted messages into their tender subconscious minds. David W. Earle.
39. If you are looking for love under rocks or bringing home water moccasins, you might be confusing love and pain. David W. Earle.
40. Sitting on the hot seat of change requires much courage, patience, and persistence. David W. Earle.
41. Normalize dysfunction spreads havoc: shed blood. Andrea L. Johnson.
42. Let your unhappiness and frustrations be the fuel to break your vicious cycles. Trina Hall.
43. The strange part about a person’s lack of trust is that it often comes from not trusting themselves. David W. Earle.
44. In the minds of my parents, they are the victims; I am the abuser. Christina Enevoldsen.
45. We don’t have hardly anything. We gotta make do with what the land gives us. Ania Ahlborn Brother.
Hope these 45 dysfunctional family quotes will give you the courage to finally break free from the abuse your dysfunctional family members have inflicted on you for years. Take care.
Sharing is caring.