Today in this post, you will discover 20 bible verses about endurance and perseverance which will help you run this difficult race of life and finish your course.
In his life, we all face difficult times, trials and tribulations which require endurance and perseverance on our part to finish the race which God has set for us.
When faced with such challenging situations, it’s easy to give up on life or lose hope because sometimes, you will feel like you don’t have the strength to fight anymore.
If you are such a person who has run out of strength and need to recharge your batteries, you are in the right place as I have prepared 20 scripture on endurance and perseverance to recharge your depleted batteries.
Example Of Perseverance In The Bible
The bible has a lot of inspiring examples of perseverance in the bible and one such example is Job. When it comes to persevering in trials, Job is on top of the list.
When it comes to trails, there is no person here on earth since the beginning of time who has ever suffered the way Job did.
Further Reading: 20 Inspirational Bible Verses About Strength For Overcoming Hard Times
Job lost everything in quick succession one after the other in a very short period of time such that he had to tear his clothes in grief and bathed himself in the dust.
Think about that for a second, if it was you, would you have continued to trust God in such difficult situations?
For most people, it would spell the end of their Christian journey, yet Job didn’t forsake his God or question why he allowed what had happened to him.
Job is indeed our perfect example to get inspiration from when facing difficult times. Due to his unwavering faith in God, he was blessed at the end twice than he had at the beginning.
This my dear friend is the blessedness of being steadfast during trials. If you do so, the Lord will indeed bless you beyond your wildest imaginations.
Top 20 Bible Verses About Endurance
With that said, let’s look at the top 20 bible verses about endurance which will help you endure all the life hardships you may be currently going through with a smile and renewed strength.
1. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28.
When it comes to bible verse about endurance in the New Testament, the above verse is one of my favorites scriptures I go to when facing difficult times.
We are reminded that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord. Implying, all the hardships true Christians face work for their own good and God turns those hardships to their favor and purpose in the end.
2. Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy. James 5:11.
As earlier stated, the above scripture reminds us of Job and how we can emulate and draw inspiration from him through the patience and endurance he showed during his tests.
We should count it all joy and be patient just as Job did during his toughest tests no other human in this universe has ever faced.
What you will discover when you endure trials is that the Lord unlike humans who will abandon you when you need them most is that God will never leave or forsake you and will always be on your side when you need him most.
3. Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer. Romans 12:12.
The book of Romans encourages us as Christians to rejoice in hope and to be patient during trials and tribulations we face in our lives.
Instead of grumbling or complaining about why things are going the way they are, we should pray about those situations so that the Lord gives us graces to endure our trials.
4. Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 1 Peter 5:7.
When we get confronted with life difficulties, we should remember to cast all our cares and burdens to the Lord as only he can help and deliver us from all afflictions.
Don’t ever forget that God indeed cares for you as his dear child and wants to help you overcome whatever trials you may be facing with a victorious smile.
5. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. Hebrews 10:36.
The book of Hebrews is another excellent bible verse about perseverance and determination which tells us to have patience in the midst of trials.
If we remain patient and endure our hardships, the Lord will faithfully reward us for doing so both now and in eternity just as he did to people that have gone before us who remained steadfast during trials.
6. And not only so but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope. Romans 5:3, 4.
Similar to the above scriptures on endurance and perseverance discussed so far. The above verse tells us to glory in our tribulations.
Our patience is only perfected and refined when we face trials and tribulations in our lives as Paul wonderfully summaries in the above scripture.
7. My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. James 1:2-4.
Of all the bible verses about endurance and perseverance in the New Testament, this one is my all-time favorite verse I always remind myself of when I face hard times in my life.
You should indeed count it all joy during trials which perfect your faith and patience in the Lord as he will richly reward you when all is said and done with your earthly life.
8. Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness. Colossians 1:11.
The above scripture talking about endurance was uttered by Paul in his ministry. As you know from the bible, Paul faced a lot of hardships and persecutions in his ministry.
Yet, he counted it all joy as he knew the grace of the Lord was sufficient for him. I like manner, we should embrace longsuffering with joy during trials of faith or of life.
9. I can do all things through Christ which strengths me. Philippians 4:13.
What an excellent bible verse about endurance to meditate on reminding us as true Christians that in Christ, we can do all things.
So, no matter the challenges you are currently going through in your life, just remind and encourage yourself with the above verse that you can do all things or overcome every trial you face in life through Christ who strengthens you.
10. Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2.
When it comes to enduring trials and hardships in life, Jesus is the perfect example we must follow in our own lives when facing hardships of various kinds.
Christ endured a lot of trails more than anyone can imagine. He was crucified and endured the cross just for our sake so that we can be saved from eternal damnation.
Bible Verses About Perseverance And Determination
In this subsection of our main topic, you will now be introduced to the 10 remaining bible verses about perseverance and determination to help you wait on the Lord. Stay tuned.
11. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all. Psalms 34:19.
The righteous will face many afflictions, trials and tribulations in life which might seem overwhelming at times, but the Lord will deliver them out of them all.
That scripture was uttered by David when he was perplexed in his own life. David too faced a lot of trials in his life at one point Saul wanted to take his own life but he was delivered from all his afflictions and enemies.
Seeing how good the Lord had been to David, he mentioned the above scriptures in the book of Psalms acknowledging how good & faithful God had been in his life.
12. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested. 1 Chronicles 4:10.
Jabez is another favorite inspirational character of mine in the Old Testament I get inspiration from when it comes to endurance and perseverance in life.
He too faced a lot of difficulties in his life which prompted him to pray to his God who granted him his request of enlarging his cost and territory.
The prayer of Jabez teaches us a lot of lesson as Christians. One of the lesson is that God always answers prayer and hears our cries when we cry out during our trials.
13. Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. Revelations 14.12.
Revelations also contain some of the best bible verses about endurance which encourages true Christians to be patient and endure their Christina race which is rigged with hardships.
Only through patience and perseverance can we finish the Christian race the Lord has set before us to finish. Therefore, always be patient in the Lord during trials of faith.
14. In your patience possess ye your souls. Luke 21.19.
Luke is another scripture on endurance which tells us to be patient when we get confronted with hardships of life.
You should let your soul and spirit be filled with patience which is one of the most important fruits of the spirit all true profession Christians must have without any exceptions.
15. But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, and patience. 2 Timothy 3:10.
Those words were said by Paul instructing Timothy, a young Christian youth at that time encouraging him to be steadfast, patient and longsuffering during hardships as he was.
Similarly, that scripture also applies to all Christians today telling us that we must be longsuffering and patient for us to endure any hardships which will come our way in our Christian journey.
16. I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. Revelations 1:9.
In the book of Revelations, John the revelator is another perfect example we Christians can learn and follow when we face difficulties in our Christian journey in this brief & temporary earthly life.
John too faced a lot of tribulations in his ministry. If he gave up, the book of Revelations as we know it wouldn’t exist.
We too must not give up when we face difficult situations otherwise, we will miss our true purpose or calling in life and the life-changing lessons God needed us to get in those trials.
17. For how can I endure to see the evil that shall come unto my people? Or how can I endure to see the destruction of my kindred? Esther 8:6.
When it comes to the Old Testament, Esther too had her own share of tribulations and trials she had to endure which was saving the Jews from the wicked king, Haman.
Considering that Esther was a woman, you can imagine how perplexed she was, yet along with Mordecai and God’s help, they managed to deliver the Jews from Haman who wanted to annihilate them.
If you are a woman, is scripture is for you. Just as Ester was able to deliver the Jews total from extinction, you too as a woman have a high calling from the Lord who is ready to help you fulfill your calling during your difficult moments.
18. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. Matthew 24:13.
The above scripture is among my favorite verses about endurance and perseverance which reminds us that those that finish their race are the ones who will be saved or rewarded.
If you give up, then all your labor will be all be in vain because in the end all that matters, is either you did something with your life or you didn’t and it doesn’t matter how much you suffered here on earth.
19. So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure. 2 Thessalonians 1:4.
Paul was speaking to the church in Thessalonica when he said those words encouraging believers there for their endurance and patience during their trials and tribulations they faced.
If you are familiar with Paul, you know what I am talking about. Paul faced a lot of persecutions and trials in his Christian life than you can imagine.
Unlike most so-called Christians who crumble when difficult times come, you should endeavor to be like Paul, counting it all joy and being steadfast when you face trials.
20. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, and I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. 2 Timothy 4.7,8.
Finally, of all the bible verses about endurance discussed so far, this is the scripture I want you to stick in your bedroom and meditate on daily.
Those words were said by Paul to Timothy when he was about to be crucified. At last, Paul was proud of what he had accomplished in his Christian ministry.
Which is why he proudly said he has fought a good fight and kept the faith as he didn’t give up in those years he was persecuted.
Now at last Paul finished the race which God had set before him and ready to receive him in his dear glory.
You too need to fight a good fight if you want to receive your beautiful glorious crown of righteousness & life when your earthly life is over.
You too have a race to finish and a good fight to fight before you can proudly say,” I have fought a good fight and finished my course just as Paul joyfully said.”
But you can’t say you fight a good fight if you throw in the towel when things get hard. Instead, all you will be left with are regrets wishing you didn’t give up so easily.
That’s all the 20 bible verses about endurance and perseverance I had to share with you in this post today.
I hope and pray that the scriptures on endurance you have read above will help you become an even stronger and steadfast Christian during hardships, trials, and tribulations you face in life.
Always remember that there is a crown of righteousness and the crown of life awaiting those who endure and finish their Christina race no matter what.
So I, therefore, encourage you not to throw in the towel when things get patchy in your Christian journey even when most people give up on theirs.
As there are great rewards beyond your imaginations waiting for you on the other side of the shore when you cross over on your dying day.
With all said and done, kindly share this post if you enjoyed it with everyone you know as they will benefit as well. Sharing is caring. Cheers and be blessed all the days of your life